Monday, July 2, 2012

Vegan Carrot Cake


Lil bit of carrot cake.

So today, I decided to try my hand at using chia seeds as egg replacements. Worked rather well, I must say. I had a bunch of carrots from my CSA, and since it didn't seem like I was just going to eat them, I decided to make carrot cake.


I made a little one for me to eat right away, and a larger loaf sized cake to bring to a barbeque later in the week. 

mmm...mmm...good!


Vegan Carrot Cake


Modified from here

Ingredients
1 bunch carrots

1/4 chia seeds
3/4 cups warm water

3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 cups gluten-free flour mix (I use this)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup coconut oil
1 banana
2 teaspoons vanilla

Instructions 
  1. Shred the carrots. You're going to need about 3 cups. Set the shredded carrots aside.
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 325° f. Grease your baking pan(s) with coconut oil (I used the ramkin pictured and a large-ish ~9in loaf pan)
  3. Mix the chia seeds and water together. They will expand a bit so put them in a container slightly larger than 1 cup. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until it gets gummy. I used this time to measure out the rest of the ingredients.
  4. Mix together the sugars, flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
  5. In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, banana, vanilla, chia mixture and carrots. Mix in the dry ingredients.
  6. Pour the batter into your pre-oiled pans. Stick them in the oven for about 45 min. My little ramkin of carrot cake was finished in like 1/2 an hour. The cake will be moist, but if you stick a knife into it and it comes out clean, it's finished.
  7. Let it cook for a bit and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment